Loft hatches and building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Restoring a 1770's house under building regs...

Got a loft which we just want to use for light storage, so need a hatch/cover, but I can't seem to find the relevent regs info.

Plenty of info about loft conversions/ladder acces etc., but nothing I can find that covers my requirement.

I've seen some "Part L" covers, complete with insulation, but they rely on rafters that are typically 520mm apart. In this old place they are less than that, so I can't use something off-the-shelf.

I could make a "box" type hatch and fill with insulation, but I'm unsure about the fire regs angle...

Anyone have any knowledge on this..?

Cheers Andy

Sponsored Links
Fire reg's wouldn't come into it unless you were providing a third storey with habitable accommodation. If it's to be soley used for storage, then you only really need to look into the thermal properties (u-values) and Part L.

When you say the rafters are 520mm apart, you mean the ceiling joists as I don't know many situations (if any) that you would provide a hatch/cover along the roof plane?

What centres are the existing joists? Having them at 600mm (which you confirmed they are less) is normally ok go gain access to/from the loft space. Anything smaller will just be unpractical, so you may have to look at trimming part of a joist and providing additional support before providing an access hatch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back