loft insulation and electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a bungalow and Thinking about getting greener and the need to update loft insulation to recommended 10". How does this affect any electric cabling that will be buried, especially cooker and shower cables, light fittings etc etc.

Sponsored Links
Insulation should not surround any electrical cable. Although cables for the lighting circuit are usually run well below their limit and are usually ok even after the derating factors are applied. Shower and cooker cables on the other hand are usually run very close to their limit and should NEVER be allowed to become surrounded by insulation, they should be pulled clear of the insulation.

Downlights should also never be covered with insulation due to the high amounts of heat they emit.

With loft insulation being as good as it is at keeping the heat in your house ,its not the best covering to put around cables as it wont allow the heat generated by the current flowing in them to dissipate sufficiently.
If you can ,at the very least,try lifting the cables so they lay on top of the insulation your laying.
Where the light fittings are in the ceiling cut a hole in the insulation so its at least 2" away from any terminations/ where cables enter a ceiling rose.

festa said:
With loft insulation being as good as it is at keeping the heat in your house ,its not the best covering to put around cables as it wont allow the heat generated by the current flowing in them to dissipate sufficiently.
If you can ,at the very least,try lifting the cables so they lay on top of the insulation your laying.
Where the light fittings are in the ceiling cut a hole in the insulation so its at least 2" away from any terminations/ where cables enter a ceiling rose.

Thanks.. thats why I asked the question. I am about to update my CU so presumambly I should consider running new cables to the cooker and shower.. but wot about all the original wiring that runs along the woodwork etc that will all be buried. Are there any specific regs about this ???

Sponsored Links
There are no regs specifically banning you covering cables in insulation, but when you do you have to size the cables appropriately. More insulation means you'll need a bigger cable to carry the same current as a smaller cable without the insulation.

If you cover the cables over then you run the risk of them overheating and developing faults/fires.

Oh, since you said you are changing the CU I hope you are aware of Part P and that the work you intend doing is notifiable.

davy_owen_88 said:
There are no regs specifically banning you covering cables in insulation, but when you do you have to size the cables appropriately. More insulation means you'll need a bigger cable to carry the same current as a smaller cable without the insulation.

If you cover the cables over then you run the risk of them overheating and developing faults/fires.

Oh, since you said you are changing the CU I hope you are aware of Part P and that the work you intend doing is notifiable.

Yeah.. I've been thru that on a previous post. I have so far been quoted upto £750 to lnclude bonding etc.... anyone know a Polish electrician cos our boys are out of order on price... and will catch a cold soon !!!

Hi cjb.....
Do you plan to use the loft for walking in,I.E turning it into a room ?,or will it be just for just light storage?
If its for general/light storage you could always lay,say 2"x2" beams in the oppsite direction of your joists,making a grid effect and lay the insulation between the new grid work,so it lifts the insulation away from your cables.

[quote="cjb121anyone know a Polish electrician cos our boys are out of order on price... and will catch a cold soon !!![/quote]

T***er

cjb121 said:
anyone know a Polish electrician cos our boys are out of order on price... and will catch a cold soon !!!

Wow. You come on here asking for advice which you get, and then you have the nerve to say that. Do you have any idea what is required to change a CU properly? Do you have any idea about the risks involved? Do you have any idea how much of that quote is actually going into the electricians pocket and how much of it is spent paying the bills (insurance, vehicle costs, registration fees, equipment costs etc etc etc...)

It's not as easy as just swopping some wires around like most people think - the main reason people like you attempt it and then end up back here asking why something or other doesn't work and expecting us to bail you out of it.

Damn it ricicle! That one word has more effect than my entire wordy response. Hats off to you sir :LOL:

davy_owen_88 said:
cjb121 said:
anyone know a Polish electrician cos our boys are out of order on price... and will catch a cold soon !!!

Wow. You come on here asking for advice which you get, and then you have the nerve to say that. Do you have any idea what is required to change a CU properly? Do you have any idea about the risks involved? Do you have any idea how much of that quote is actually going into the electricians pocket and how much of it is spent paying the bills (insurance, vehicle costs, registration fees, equipment costs etc etc etc...)

It's not as easy as just swopping some wires around like most people think - the main reason people like you attempt it and then end up back here asking why something or other doesn't work and expecting us to bail you out of it.

Damn it ricicle! That one word has more effect than my entire wordy response. Hats off to you sir :LOL:

Sorry, no offence meant BUT.. £750 .Don't be so TOUCHY.. the gravy train is about to end soon.
When I go to Poland to have my crowns fixed at 1/3rd price here then It will pay me to bring back a plumber and electrician to rebuild my house. I always liked the Polish. Wait till u need falsies :evil:

festa said:
Hi cjb.....
Do you plan to use the loft for walking in,I.E turning it into a room ?,or will it be just for just light storage?
If its for general/light storage you could always lay,say 2"x2" beams in the oppsite direction of your joists,making a grid effect and lay the insulation between the new grid work,so it lifts the insulation away from your cables.
Thanks for your very helpfull and useful advice.. are you Polish?

Go on then, tell us what line of business you're in.

You ignorant W***er.

Did you shop around for a quote that appealed to you.

Do you think all of the hourly rate that an electrician charges you goes in his pocket. No. It goes to pay for vans, insurances, tools and to pay for registering into schemes that are there to protect you.

Will you get all of that from your Eastern European cheapies.No I suspect not.When you come across a problem with your wiring and sparkski has ****ed off back to Poland you will have to eat humble pie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back