loft insulation and halogen light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owner of my house installed some halogen lamps in some of the upstairs rooms. They are flush fitting with the ceiling and have a bulb holder bit that sits above the plasterboard of the ceiling in the loft. Where these were installed the loft insulation has been moved aside.

I'd like to sort out the insulation because it's all out of place and I suspect not as effective as it should be. Then I want to put down some top up insulation in the loft, perpendicular to the existing layer.

What's the best method for ensuring that I get the existing insulation to cover as much of the space between joists as possible but without covering the bulb holders? Any guidelines on how much space around the bulb holder needs to be left empty? I'm not quite sure what the best thing to do here is.

Sponsored Links
You should also read posts listed at bottom of page re condensation problems.

Hey James,

Why don't you do what we did and put some fire rated covers over the light fittings so you can put the insulation straight over the top?

No loss in insulation coverage then. I googled and got them from a company called stormflame. Not bad price excellent delivery, think I got them within a day or 2 from ordering.

Hope this helps.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back