Loft Insulation and Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I live in a bungalow where water and central heating pipes run through the attic. The water and radiators are heated with a combi boiler which is located in the house below the attic.

There is a lot of insulation in the attic but it seems a bit of a mess so I'm thinking of improving it and running new 100mm base insulation between the joists before putting the existing back over the top. It's going to be a worse job than if there was none up there at all, especially with two outrigger sections to crawl through, moving mountains of badly laid insulation and then putting new stuff down.

I've noticed that much of the piping up there, which is mostly copper, doesn't have any lagging on it. Does this matter providing it is all covered by the loft insulation? There will be a lot of pipework to insulate if lagging is needed. Some of it is 10mm and curves up before going down into the room below - how do I insulate that?

When putting the new base insulation between the joists, is it ok for that to just go over the top of the pipes that also run between the joists?

Advice appreciated, and many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Copper pipe will lose a lot of heat that an overlay of mineral wool will do little to contain. You should aim to lag as much as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back