Insulate or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I have a small ex-council house and I have been up into the Attic and Extension and what I have noticed the following Insulation:

Attic
Yellow Wool Between Joists folded ontop of itself - ~70mm
Pink Wool Ontop of Yellow between joists - ~50mm
Totals: ~190m But its thicker and thiner in some areas.

Extension
Pink Wool between joists - ~80mm

Do you think I would benefit by topping up the attic and extension to 270 - 300mm?

Right now my house is generally chilly and it does feel like I am loosing heat all the time so I am wondering if adding the extra insulation would make that much a difference in keeping heat in?

Secondly

I have looked around to see if I have any forms of Cavity wall insulation however when I look at both these extensions I cannot see any additional beading or yellow wool despite the fact that when doing a test drill I did find 'Some' Yellow wool in the walls.

If you look in the picture you will see where the Wires enter the house from the extension I would have assumed the yellow wool would have been visible?

Lastly

Would adding some insulation to the roof of the kitchen be a big job?
There is literally about 5 foot clearance so I could not climb up in however there is air bricks I think I could top it up but I am worried about having to first run vertical wood strips etc?

Or can I just set the additional insulation on top?

Any advice would be great

Attic 1: View media item 88461Attic 2: View media item 88462Attic 3: View media item 88463Kitchen Pipes: View media item 88464Kitchen Roof: View media item 88465

Sponsored Links
Increase your insulation thickness to 300mm by adding more wool.
Plug any cable and pipe gaps by stuffing wool into the holes.
Get as much insulation as you can into the kitchen extension, but don't allow it to touch the under felt, and allow the air brick to remain open if you can.
It sounds like there has been some attempt to add cavity insulation at some time - unless by coincidence some of the initial wool has fallen into the cavity of its own accord, and that's what your drill is picking up!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back