Loft Insulation - best place?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I noticed the loft insulation in my new house is only 100mm thick, so i’d like to bring this upto 300mm with getting 200mm topper.

What is the best place to buy these in bulk? I know of b&q, wickes screwfix etc. Is there another place to purchase these which the average Dan doesn’t know about?

I’ve not yet measured the house but the EPC states 104m2 (so guessing half that for the roof space?) and is somewhat L shape house, so guessing that means I need quite abit!

Sponsored Links
I've found good prices for various insulation materials from Insulation Superstore and/or Insulation Express, online. But you have to allow for the delivery charge. The former is part of Travis Permins IIRC but has much better prices.

Travis have some on offer in their booklet this month.

IMG_5767.JPG

I went there and ended up buying the Knauff Omni which was £15/roll plus VAT

At the end of winter, homeowners lose interest and the sheds clear their stock at cut prices.

BTW I strongly recommend the mineral wool treated with Ecose that does not shed irritant dust and fibres. It is made by Knauf but sold under own brand labels. It is brown. Look for the word "Ecose" on the wrapper.

Sponsored Links
Good pricea there, glad I asked.

One question for example, as I am stupid i’m bound not to step on a joist in the future, so can I spray paint a line over the topping layer, where the joist is underneath?

Not to sure if it that’s a crazy idea

You can guarantee that you'll step on the line you've painted, and then find the insulations shifted, and you go through the ceiling. Better to increase the joist height, and then board on top of the joists.

You can guarantee that you'll step on the line you've painted, and then find the insulations shifted, and you go through the ceiling. Better to increase the joist height, and then board on top of the joists.
Haha, didn’t think of insulation moving!

I’ve been on TP and insilation express and all the rolls are semi pre-cut, does it matter as i’ll be using it as a topper?

No it doesn't; as long as you butt it up as you go, then you'll be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back