Loft insulation & boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Loft insulation & boarding

Hi, I have a 34m2 loft in which I want to top up existing insulation and board out for storage.

Most of the insulation up there is 50mm, however in a couple of areas it is as high as 200mm, so I may need to compress existing insulation in some places. Planning on topping up with 7 100mm rolls as advised by the online calculator things on B&Q, WICKES website.

my problems is that I have 2 joists that run the full length (6.9m) of the loft which are 170mm deep, but the joists that run 90 degrees to these (to the eaves) and between them are only 50mm deep.

Do I need to attach battens to all the 50mm joists or is it easier just to run a number of long battens the full length of the loft?

oh what wood should I use? - Can you tell im not a seasoned DIYer !! Loft insulation at B&Q is half price at £7 a roll at the moment so seems a good time to do this,

thanks

fozz :D

Sponsored Links
Most of the stuff you ask is covered in other posts, but the one thing I would say is that you shouldnt compress insulation as it is only as good as its thickness, so if you compress 100mm down to 50mm, it only as good as 50mm insulation. Current regs say 270mm I think, and this is usually done by laying first between the joists, then another layer at right angles over the joists.

This of course makes boarding difficult, but this is covered extensively in other posts, so do a search on the forum for more information.

James

Ok Cheers James,

Ive gone for that approach as it seemed an esier way to raise the joists and by over lapping the insualtion I hope it should be more efficient at trapping the heat.

Bought the wood I needed at local wood merchants, it was 1/3 the price of equivalent at homebase/B&Q,

cheers

fozz

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back