Loft insulation causing mould in bedroom ceilings ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just hoping someone might be able to help with this problem, Basically we have moved into an old 1904 built house and now that the colder months are here we've noticed that at the outer edges and corners of the bedrooms we get patches of mould forming.

After a cursory inspection in the loft it seems that the insulation that is there seems to be stuffed into the eaves area in some places, would this be the most likely cause of the mould ? (I'm thinking yes, but if anyone can confirm this i'd appreciate it)

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Well, not directly but if could be preventing ventilation - or
the mould may be forming only where there is no, or less, insulation and it is colder.

Lofts used to be well ventilated areas.
This blew away any moisture but was cold.
Now they are not; you can't have everything.

Does it feel moist in the loft above where the mould is forming?
That is, is the moisture coming down through the ceiling or just forming in the rooms?

You need to heat and ventilate the rooms although this may still leave cooler areas in the corners.

the mould is caused when the humidity in the room is high, and the surfaces it touches are cold. This would be where the insulation is missing/ineffective.
So your problem is probably at the gaps in the insulation, but you should ventilate better and ideally improve the loft insulation. Also the insulation stuffed into the eaves may be a separate problem, but it depends if you have felt in the loft (as opposed to membrane or no secondary barrier) If you have felt, you need good ventilation in the whole loft. If not you can stuff insulation where you like, just make sure the membrane if present can "drape" between the rafters to channel any water out.

Sponsored Links
The insulation stuffed into the eaves will prevent airflow through the loft and encourage condensation, and subsequent mould.
Have you let the room temp get too low? Below 18c will encourage mould.

Hi, thanks for all the replies, i'll try and get a few pictures up in the next day or two i'm unable to get in the loft right now as i have a bad back :(
Just to answer a few questions though.
are the ceilings flat?
It's a pitched roof, so not flat, unless you mean the rooms below ? in that case yes.

The insulation stuffed into the eaves will prevent airflow through the loft and encourage condensation, and subsequent mould.
Have you let the room temp get too low? Below 18c will encourage mould.
Haven't really checked the temp up there to be honest, although we had the boiler installed up there ( i was outvoted on the location by the missus :/ )

Well, not directly but if could be preventing ventilation - or
the mould may be forming only where there is no, or less, insulation and it is colder.

Lofts used to be well ventilated areas.
This blew away any moisture but was cold.
Now they are not; you can't have everything.

Does it feel moist in the loft above where the mould is forming?
That is, is the moisture coming down through the ceiling or just forming in the rooms?

You need to heat and ventilate the rooms although this may still leave cooler areas in the corners.
I'll check this as and when i'm able to get back up there (dodgy back at the moment)

Hi, just hoping someone might be able to help with this problem, Basically we have moved into an old 1904 built house and now that the colder months are here we've noticed that at the outer edges and corners of the bedrooms we get patches of mould forming.

After a cursory inspection in the loft it seems that the insulation that is there seems to be stuffed into the eaves area in some places, would this be the most likely cause of the mould ? (I'm thinking yes, but if anyone can confirm this i'd appreciate it)

Thanks. :)
Had the same problem in a north facing room in my own house. Part of the ceiling was sloping and uninsulated, because it was right in the eaves and impossible to get to. I removed that bit of the ceiling, insulated it properly with Celotex, reboarded with insulated plasterboard and skimmed it. Never been an issue since.

Had the same problem in a north facing room in my own house. Part of the ceiling was sloping and uninsulated, because it was right in the eaves and impossible to get to. I removed that bit of the ceiling, insulated it properly with Celotex, reboarded with insulated plasterboard and skimmed it. Never been an issue since.
Sounds like our current and last houses. In the last house, I did something similar - and then we moved :rolleyes: Just checking with my non-contact (IR) thermometer indicated that I'd improved the ceiling temperature by several degrees.

But getting back to the OPs situation. He says that his ceilings are flat - that almost certainly means that the gap at the eaves tapers down to just the height of the joists & rafters, ie 3 or 4". Doesn't matter how well the installer stuffs the insulation in, there's only going to be 3 or 4" of insulation there, vs 10" (or more) across the rest of the loft (assuming it's been done to current standards).
That means (in cold weather) the eaves side of the ceiling will always be a little colder than the rest, and hence susceptible to damp, and them mould. Also, the outside walls, and any internal ones that go into the loft, will be colder at ceiling level, and so the ceilings will be cooler adjacent to these.
Finally, the airflow will be less in the corners, and so the ceiling gets less heat.

All these factors add up to mould generally showing first in the corners, and often only the corners. As mentioned already, checking there's no gaps in the insulation, keeping the rooms at a reasonable temperature, and minimising the moisture content will help keep it at bay. Lifestyle is important - baths, showers, cooking, and especially drying clothes all put moisture into the house. So does breathing but we can't really avoid that :whistle: Not drying clothes in the house, is usually the first step in dealing with damp. Then making sure that you use extractors or open windows when doing other moisture producing activities.

So does breathing but we can't really avoid that :whistle:
No, but long hoses leading to outside the hose could be used.

fbc8fff8591e1b4db2ba3252d50662d4.jpg

I bow to your superior knowledge of apparatus like that.

But if you don't exhale through them, do you not end up like this?

hYtuS.jpg

I bow to your superior knowledge of apparatus like that
Off topic, but it's just common sense, if you're diving you can breathe out but not in under water. Given one pipe you'd have to use it for breathing in! No point breathing out into a pipe you're about to breath in from. Then you have a valve for exhaling into the water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back