mould in corner of ceiling

Or just crack the window a tiny bit and see if the simple solution works first
"The" window? Which one? The one in the room or the one in the room where most moisture is produced. The one on the cold north side or on on the warm south side?

Does that let the damp inside air out or the damp outside air in? :rolleyes:

The thing is, there is no one solution, as it's a combination of things and a balance of those things. Occupants need to be aware of how they are producing moisture which ends up in the corners of rooms in places like ceilings and the various steps they need to take - and its not just "open the window a bit".

Sponsored Links
but true.
Another classic landlord assumption.

I know of 37 L&T and EPA claims in just a very small area of the UK where it is not true according to the Judge/magistrate. So extrapolate that. :cautious:

Sometimes I don't understand why there is so much controversy over matters like condensation.
It is a physical process.
Air can ontain water vapour, warm air can contain more. Warm moist air meets cold surface = condensation.
The formula can be changed in any number of ways as Woody states.
Yes, keeping a window open improves ventilation and is a very simple solution.
However, with energy prices the way they are and winter drawing in, that may not be the best way to change the balance of the equation.

Aaah, beaten to it by Woody! :)

Sponsored Links
Sometimes I don't understand why there is so much controversy over matters like condensation.
It is a physical process.
Air can ontain water vapour, warm air can contain more. Warm moist air meets cold surface = condensation.
The formula can be changed in any number of ways as Woody states.
Yes, keeping a window open improves ventilation and is a very simple solution.
However, with energy prices the way they are and winter drawing in, that may not be the best way to change the balance of the equation.

Aaah, beaten to it by Woody! :)
The issue is that people don't always live the way that scientific principles or even building structures want them to.

Take the very simple example of the push to take out old draughty cold single glazed windows and fit modern plastic warmer double glazed windows. "Great" everyone thought ... except for the fact that the humidly was now sealed in and the condensation did not go away only move to the next coldest surface in the rooms.

And then we have people like JD come along and say "Well just open your nice new insulated warm uPVC windows and let the cold back in" WTF!

The issue is that people don't always live the way that scientific principles or even building structures want them to.

Take the very simple example of the push to take out old draughty cold single glazed windows and fit modern plastic warmer double glazed windows. "Great" everyone thought ... except for the fact that the humidly was now sealed in and the condensation did not go away only move to the next coldest surface in the rooms.

And then we have people like JD come along and say "Well just open your nice new insulated warm uPVC windows and let the cold back in" WTF!

I totally agree and I think that is my argument :)
The forming of condensation is a dynamic process, depending on different factors.
Improving ventilation, reducing the amount of water vapour formed (be that from people, pets, leaks, damp, etc ), providing constant heating and adding insulation will all improve the situation.
The optimal solution should address a range of these factors. And the optimal solution may change over time depending on the useage of the space.
Change one variable, and another will be affected!

Last edited:
And the optimal solution may change over time
Yes that's right, and the number of times a tenant has said to me "Well I've been here 20 years and never had this before and I am not doing anything different" in a disbelieving tone is the subject of my new book "Open the Windows, Crank up the Heating - a guide to living with fuel poverty" which will be out mid-winter. Should be a best seller even if just to burn to heat up the front room one night.

But seriously, its never one thing, but a combination - a fine balance which includes the different seasonal weather. So occupants need to be aware of how they might be creating moisture and how the building might react, so then they are given possible options. Whether they can take those options for one or more of several reasons is another matter, as is whether they should be taking those options or making those choices in the first place when it might be a landlord's responsibility to deal with.

So occupants need to be aware of how they might be creating moisture and how the building might react, so then they are given possible options.
Which may get to the crux, occupants (..and landlords!) need education and advice. Being told to just 'open a window' may not be the most helpful suggestion! :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back