Loft insulation help, please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello every one.

I'm in a 60's house and want to insulate the loft for warm storage.
I've boarded it all out with 22mm board and left some rock wool below this just as the loft won't need to be kept warm for every day use. Hoping it will keep the house warmer than the loft.

As i'm just using it for storage really (possible model railway at some point) it could be heated with a radiator if I need more warmth for comfort as and when.

I was planing on between and below rafter celotex style insulation.

The rafters are 3" x 2" and with a 2" vertilation area to the tiles would leave 1". So I was going to use 1" between and then possibly between 1 and 2" over this and the rafters.

But being lazy and saving money and time also because i'm not worried about the cosmetic appearance.
I was wondering if I could just screw or nail the below rafter insulation boards strait into the rafters, a couple of fixing per rafter. Then just leave it as that, no plaster board etc? I'm sure i saw some nails with a large nylon/platic head to fix insulation board some where.

Do you use the silver tape and expanding foam spray to fill any gaps/joints?

Is it worth insulation against the outside wall too? Their is no cavity I think. Would I need to make some sort of stud frame to make air flow behind the insulation boards or can it be fixed strait to the wall?

To provide good ventilation at the ridge i was going to put some battens across from rafter to rafter a couple of inches below the ridge. Then put the insulation onto this. Would this be a good idea? Also I was thinking of putting some flourecent lights onto some wood lenghts below this. Would it be worth putting a strip of roof felt above the insulation to force any water if there was a leak away and over the ridge insulation?

I've added a few pics if it helps..

If any one can give me any help at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Arthur

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back