Loft insulation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm having some building work completed and as part of it will have to put extra insulation in the loft area.

I have 100mm of insulation between joists and have boarded on top, and the boards are screwed down.

I need to achieve the equivalent of 100 - 150 mm of glass fiber stuff.

I use the loft for storage so anything I out on the floor must withstand being walked on and having stuff stored on it.

I've read about these 10 - 20 mm mats that you can put on the floor and also Thermaboard that can go in the rafters area.

Any advice or help will be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Like your boards, you are screwed ;)

You could either:

a) take up the boards, lay some more timber crossways for extra insulation depth, and replace boarding.

b) put down the extra insulation on top of the boards, wait until job completed/inspector gone/all signed off, and then take it all up again!

c) lay a rigid board on top of the existing loft boarding, and overlay with 9mm ply/osb/mdf.

I wouldn't bother trying to compensate by insulating the rafter space, far too much hassle to do it properly, and you'll be opening a condensation can o' worms.

xps polyfoam board is rigid and can be laid over the beams - then put chipboard on top. This gives you your extra layer of insulation plus the storage facility too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back