Loft insulation into sloping ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a converted Victorian primary school where the original schoolroom is the main living room. At some time the ceiling has been re-done with plasterboard over the original lath and plaster (probably by the County Council when the chimneys were blown down in Michael Fish's non-hurricane).

None of the loft space is insulated and I'm fairly keen to sort this out as the roof area is huge, around 42 feet long by 18 feet wide, and the heat loss is likely to be considerable. This is not as big a financial problem as it may be otherwise as this particular space is heated by a woodburner with back boiler and my wood supply is free, but I'd obviously like to improve energy efficiency. Access to the loft space is possible via several hatches originally used for ventilation, although not easy, but the real problem is the sloping portions of the roof that make up 50% of its area. There's about 100mm depth between the lath and plaster and the roofing felt, but the original lath and plaster surface is as rough as can be. Has anyone ever tried to insulate such a structure using something like Cellotex? If so, what problems were hit or can you give any advice? Any alternative products that could be used?

Hope someone can help as this is too big a job to set off on without exploring every option!

Gordon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back