loft insulation ..... no felt under the roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having our attic converted but have come across a stumbling block to do with insulating the ceiling. Our contractor comes from Portugal and has very different standards to what we Brits consider normal for insulation.

I've been reading many discussions about the best insulation for pitched roofs on here. However, I assume that they all involve roofs where there is felt under the tiles. On our roof, we have nothing under the tiles, no felt, no membranes of any form, just tiles, and then a very thin layer of polystyrene (between the rafters), which will probably be removed cos it's old and breaking-up ........ and then attic space.

Am I right in thinking that this lack of some sort of membrane critically affects the type of insulation we can use?? Would we need a waterproof insulation as the first layer below the tiles? And if so, are there any waterproof ones???

Is there any point in hoping that the 50mm ventilation gap can be reduced in these circumstances, and if so, to what?

Are there any other things that we should be aware of when considering how best to insulate due to not having anything under the tiles (and above the rafters)??

Any help greatly appreciated .........

Sponsored Links
Not many of us are clued up on belgium regulations, have you tried their construction boards/governing bodies?

That's the problem ... there are no regulations or standards that apply to us (because we are not putting in dorma windows). And where the regulations do apply, one MUST (a regulation!) have an architect to check that all the standards are understood and followed properly.

I've heard many stories of things going wrong: condensation/mould problems, contractors not bothering to put insulation in the floor of the roof.

That's why we want to follow standards that protect the house, (and that we can understand, but not perfectly!). Please let us know what you would do in this situation (apart from putting on a new roof!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back