Loft Insulation Over Boarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My loft is already has the floor boarded, beneth the boarding insulation has been laid. I want to upgrade the insulation, can I just add my new insulation (was thinking of the space blankets in B&Q) on top of the boarding or is that pointless ?

The problem I have is that they have boarded the loft when replacing the roof. The boards they have used are massive the only way they could of laid them is with the roof off as would of never got through the loft hatch. In order to move them I would need to cut them up.

Sponsored Links
If your loft has been floored, it would be a shame to put rolls of fibreglass down. Although this will improve the insulation it will become impractical to walk about up there.

there are a couple of things you could do, that would be more work.

The most common sizes of flooring chipboard are 8ft x 4 ft and 8ft x 2ft.

It is sometimes possible to get the 8ftx 2ft boards through a loft hatch.

It is very difficult to lay the larger boards in an ordinary modern loft as the timber trusses leave little space.

How roomy does your loft seem? Can you readily walk about in it or are there lots of triangulating timbers in the way? If you can lay your hands on a digital camera and put up a pic this will help us assess the situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back