loft boarding project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive just had my loft insulated and want to board it out i had a look at b and q and they have packs of boards 3 for under £5 but they are only 32cms wide so i think it would take a lot of boards. when the guy came who was doing the insulating he said if i want boards in the loft i cant screw them down i just have to lie them on top as the ceilings could pop due to the compression. i have a lot of stuff to keep in the loft so need the space for storage. the loft hatch is old type and only 21 inches wide so i was thinking would it be possible to make the loft hatch bigger and fit a ladder aswell. is the guy telling the truth that boards cant be screwed down or is there another way of boarding out my loft. any advice would be helpful thanks

Sponsored Links
dont like the sound of lots off stuff
you should only lightly load the the loft assuming its 4x1.5" or simmilar

if its solid like foam then it will pop the ceiling
if its easily compressable [compresses under your mobile phone for example]then youll be ok

dont forget your boards can go through the diagonal on the hatch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back