LOFT INSULATION : UNDER NEW BOARDS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an extension carried out, meaning we no longer have a garage, so all the clutter that used to be in the garage is needing somewhere to go.

I’m thinking of boarding out the loft, but after checking on the various sites, have decided not to go with the Wickes / B&Q type loft boarding packs, but instead try to get 8 x 2 t &g chipboard. These will be countersunk and screwed into position.

We have insulation in the loft, initially about 100mm, between the joists, then more (probably another 100mm or so was fitted, running in the other direction.

This of course has made temporary storing / moving about in the loft an exciting, if not dangerous event, hence the need to have it boarded.

If I simply squash the insulation and fit the boards, directly to the exiting joists, will that be OK ?

Surely, it’s only me that will suffer if the insulation isn’t exactly up to the official thickness !!

There are no ‘loft police’ are there ??

Only one thing, if I ever sold the house, would there be a problem ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back