Loft Insulation upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were thinking of insulating and boarding our loft and adding a loft hatch so had some builders round to take a look and do a quote but they said there's no need to add insulation as its already got adequate insulation there

Looking at the existing insulation, it looks like the loft wool insulation type and is probably quite old, we've had the house only for a year or so and would of been put in by the original owner

I've taken a picture to show what its like - is this insulation still up to the task or would there be a significant benefit to replacing if there is something better?

Also, is this some sort of insulation between the rafters? Or is it just normal cladding or similar

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220316_165117.jpg
    20220316_165117.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 20220316_165150.jpg
    20220316_165150.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
What's there is probably 100mm thickness, which is entirely inadequate.
Adding another 200mm on top of that would get it to modern standards.

Boards will need to be raised above the insulation, so additional supports will be required.

The rest is just the back of the felt or whatever else was used - that's not insulation, and you don't need or want insulation there.

Sponsored Links
Just jumping into this conversation from last year. I read and fitted some 200mm loft insulation to 'top up' my existing which was likely similar 100mm. Just after a general opinion upon how I have done. Thanks
IMG_4658.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4643.jpeg
    IMG_4643.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 46
What's there is probably 100mm thickness, which is entirely inadequate.
Adding another 200mm on top of that would get it to modern standards.

Boards will need to be raised above the insulation, so additional supports will be required.

The rest is just the back of the felt or whatever else was used - that's not insulation, and you don't need or want insulation there.
It's perfectly OK to have insulation between the rafters provided that there is an air gap between the insulation and the felt with eve and ridge vents to allow airflow between the felt and the insulation, plus provision for ventilation of the loft space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back