Loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday my partner & I brought our loft insulation up to the required 270mm however :D , I know all the information tells you to lift electric cables over the new insulation but we couldn't do this as most of them were either fixed to the side of the joists or simply weren't long enough :cry: All of the info I read tell me that this can be fire hazard how do I get round this problem :confused:

Sponsored Links
If it's only lighting cables you've covered, I wouldn't worry about it. The problem is that the maximum rated current of a cable goes down if you cover it with insulation. (It's all about getting the heat out.) This matters if you're running a cable near to its maximum current (an electric shower or immersion heater might do this) but lighting cables are already oversized for the job. :cool: :cool: :cool:

PS: Just a thought; have you covered over any recessed light fittings? :?: :?: :?:

Thanks for your reply :) Yes, as far as I know the cables are nearly all lighting except for the one which runs the extractor vent for the bathroom :confused: We do have recessed lighting in the bathroom but we bought the covers that you put round them to protect them from the insulation and these were the only wires which were long enough to run above the insulation so I assume these will be fine :D

The cables for your power circuits such as sockets, showers, cookers are normally designed to be much nearer the maximum current carrying capacity of the cable, in regards to the fuse rating of the circuit.
Your lighting circuit should be okay providing the device protecting the cable is a 5A or 6A. If it is higher than that and your cable is 1.00mm T&E, you will need to have it sorted out.
As fas as the power circuits are concerned, they need to brought above the insulation.
You can un-clip them and fix or lay them above the insulation, if there is no slack in the cable, an option would be to extend the the circuit via junction boxes providing these boxes are also fixed above the insulation and are easily accessible for repair, inspection and test.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back