Loft Joists Sagging - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wonder if somebody could offer me some advice. Our bedroom ceiling has a sag above the bed.

When I've gone in the loft you can clearly see the sagged area. It seems to sag directly after a load bearing wall where the joists change direction, not sure why they change direction but they do, the roof is a hipped roof on a 1930s semi detached house if that makes a difference.

It also looks like the hot water tank used to be in the vicinity of the sagged area. Also just behind the radiator on the picture is an upright supporting a purlin that is spread between two the two joists are sagging. Also, all the joists in the loft seem like they're 2 pieces of wood and not one solid one which again I find strange.

I know about the purlin prop because we've just rewired the house and some plaster board had to be removed. Theres an old kids drawing on one of the boards dated 1983 so it suggests it's been like this a while.

I'm really unsure what we should do, we're going to decorate our bedroom this year and obviously we want a level ceiling. Is there any risk of the ceiling joists collapsing? Or is this just a really old fix that I'm getting paranoid about?

Ivw attached pictures of the sagging area, the bit where the joists change direction, the purlin support behind the radiator and close up of the joists that are 2 bits of wood.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks
IMG_20210205_180416.jpg
IMG_20210205_180331.jpg
IMG_20210205_180641.jpg
IMG_20210205_180814.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back