loft joists

M

marsaday

i am going to convert my loft and height is not an issue. so i will be laying a new floor separate from the ceiling joists.

the floor area is a simple square and the right side of this square has a horizontal wall on which to rest the joists. one section will be 5.5m long (end of house to this wall) and the other section will be 3.5m long (other end of house to wall).

Can i order the joists in these sizes (or a bit bigger) or will i need to cut some down?

The other side of the square has a wall running vertical down the middle of the square. i can hang off this wall, but will have to attach a joist onto the gable end of the house. How to i do this exactly? the wall is 2 courses of brick thick with no cavity.

i understand it is best to put in the joists before we break up into the loft with the stairs. is this the correct thing to do?

i do have some plans made, but they dont show where i should be laying the joists you see.

i will do a diagram if needed

Sponsored Links
If someone has drawn you some plans, then they should be showing how the floor is constructed ..... otherwise what is the point of drawing the plans? :rolleyes:

Get your designer to do his job

i have had drawings done of the loft to show what to do with the king beam, where to put velux etc. i didnt realise they drew the floor plan as well. should i ask him for some more drawings ?

Sponsored Links
this site wont allow me to upload a word diagram. any ideas?

question because i cannot get the diagram loaded anywhere.

the designer states i need to use 9x2 joists. one of the rooms has a span of 5.5m so i will need just under a 6m joists. will this be ok? i will speak to him again about this though.

i have a bay window and so do i run the joists into the bay window area and rest on the outer wall of the bay or do i bolt a 9x2 joist spanning this opening and hang off this?

would i need a flitch beam instead of these long joists?

If the designer has specified a joist size, then the natural assumption is that he has worked it out and specified the correct size, and so that is the size you use

For the bay, you either continue the joists into it, or if parallel to the bay, you double up the last one and hang the bay joists off this at 90 degrees.

Again, the designer should be designing this and drawing it on the plan. Seems like he is not doing much "designing" :rolleyes:

i dont have a floor plan.

i asked for plans and have them for everything else. i have a feeling i have been misled a little. i wait to speak to the guy about this.

Ask the necessary questions here and you'll get some answers, but the point is that you really need to clarify with this guy exactly what was expected of him and what you have paid him to do.

If you have plans for a loft conversion, then they need to show everything about the work so that you can pick the plans up, order the materials and put it all together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back