Loft ladder kit - bracing up joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I've been lurking around these parts for a while, but wanted to ask for some advice, so finally registered.

I've recently moved in to a new (old) house. The loft entry is too small, not well placed and there are no drop-down ladders. I want to make a new opening in a bedroom and install a kit - such as this one:

http://www.diy.com/departments/3-se...ft-ladder/1454517_BQ.prd?icamp=recs&rrec=true

the current entry only spans between two joists, however the new kit will be wider, spanning between 3 joists. The universe rarely aligns for me and having checked, the kit will not be wide enough to fit between the outside joists and will leave a gap. I know I'll be able to affix one side of the kit to the left joist, and the noggins will handle the top and bottom, but what do I do about the other long side? I'm assuming more noggins or braces of some design - can anyone provide me with instructions or a diagram on how I can effectively shore this up?

Here's a quick sketch I've made of my loft situation, obviously not to scale -

20170804_092639.jpg

Should I just install another noggin, the length of the hole and install this parallel to the right hand joist, but screw this into the original noggins?

briefly, the method I plan to use is:

first brace across the 3 joists with a couple of (temporary) lengths of wood - screwed down

then installing a noggin at each end of the proposed new hole - screwed in horizontally to make fast.

Cut the middle joist.

Cut the hole in the plasterboard.

Attach the surround of the box to the remaining joist.

Any help appreciated,

cheers,

Grim.

PS. I hope that image link works!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You've got the right idea, possibly double up the trimmers (the ones you install running at right angles to the existing joists)
Use decent length screws (80mm+)
Any cut joist end needs to be well secured to the trimmer
Not sure how you can install the trimmer (assuming that's what you mean by noggin) before cutting the middle joist, as the middle joist cut end needs to be screwed to it

I did a similar thing today although I didn't have to worry about having a plasterboard ceiling beneath. Heres how I did it

7kKFSFV.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back