Cutting a wedge out of loft joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to install a loft ladder. The space between the joists is 570mm. The kit requires an opening of 600mm to allow the frame of the kit to be fitted. The frame measures 580mm wide.

My question is can I cut 10mm out of each joist to get the frame to fit? Length of cut will be 1200mm. This will give me a width of 590mm to fit the 580mm wide frame.

If this is possible, any thoughts for cutting the wedge out? The joists are 100mm x 40mm.

I'm pretty certain this is a non starter tbh

Sponsored Links
How deep and wide are the joists? Can they be doubled up and bolted. Alternatives are taking out the joist and trimming or getting smaller ladder.

Blup

As you would be reinstating the integrity of the joists with the frame then i would not think it will be an issue, if anything it will be better as you are adding the front and rear trimmers too.

Sponsored Links
Another possibility if you can't double up the joist is to screw 18mm ply along its length as far as possible, should help with torsional stiffness.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back