Loft lighting help. Fused?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently inspected the loft in my new home and was pleaseantly suprised to find it was fully boarded and had a fluro tube light installed. I turned on the light and for a few seconds it worked and then nothing. It went out taking the spare bedroom light out with it. Now all the lights for the house are on 1 fuse in the fuse box and it hasnt tripped. So why are the 1 bedroom and loft light not working?
Please help.
There was no drama no strange noises or smells of burning or anything when it happened.
Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Most likely cause is a loose terminal. That weak connection was not able to carry the in rush current when the flu tube lit up and went open ciruit,

The loft lamp probably takes its feed from that bedroom ceiling rose so first thing is to look in there. With the power turned OFF look for a loose screw in there. If not there then follow the cable from the loft light and you will probably find a junction box with a cable to the loft lamp and a cable to that bedroom. Odds are the loose terminal will be there.

Now all the lights for the house are on 1 fuse in the fuse box and it hasnt tripped. So why are the 1 bedroom and loft light not working?
Bernard may well be right about a loose connection. However, are you certain that all the lights in the house (including that bedroom one) are supplied by the same lighting circuit? It's not impossible (albeit unlikely) that, for some reason, that bedroom light and the loft light got their power in some other way (e.g. via a fused connection unit from a sockets circuit).

It's an important question since, if those two lights were to be getting their power from somewhere other than the lighting circuit, you would have to ascertain what had to be done (removing fuses etc.) to make those lights safe to work on.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back