Loft Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting loft panels in my loft for more storage space only. My problem is the panels are 1220mm long the joists are 16"" (401mm) apart and 1.5 " (30.5mm) width joist. That makes 17" (45mm) centres for the panels to sit on. The distance from the first joist to the third one is 52" (1320mm) which put me 4" (100mm) short and a 14" (360mm) overlap from the 2nd joist with nothing to screw into. Other than cutting every loft panel to 34" (860mm) to get a solid base has anyone got any ideas. Are these standard loft panels too short or are my joists not standard? House was built in 1963

Sponsored Links
You have a tape measure that does half mm's?? :confused:

Anyway, use 2x2 timber (that's 50.08x50.08 ;) ) screwed into the joists at right angles before laying the floor panels. These can be spaced apart to suit your needs.

Sponsored Links
[30.5mm]
Okay very funny I asked for that should be 35mm. :oops: But you missed the 17" (45mm) instead of 450mm (to be exact 431.5mm) ;)
Anyway get your drift. Cheers[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back