Fitting Loft Panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have some loft panels to fit, I've done this before but I have a question. The loft insulation in by Bungalow is above the joists, I think that the joists are 4", so the last time I fitted some loft panels I put some 2" x 2" down to give room for the lost insulation, that works out quite expensive, I did look at the 'Loft Legs' that you can get, but they're not cheap, so my thought was to cut the 2" x 2" into short lengths rather that continuous bits of wood, so they will be wood 'Loft Legs', I was thinking 2" for the first and last panels and 4" for the other ones where the panels join, does that seem OK? The next thing is do I screw the 2" x 2" into the joists first with 2 1\2" - 3" screws Or get some long screws to go through the 18mm Chipboard, through the 2 x2 and into the joist (4 or 4 1\2" screws).

Ill wait until the cooler weather to do this, but just so I know.

Many Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
What I did in my loft was to get ply cut at b&q into strips and add 2x1 to each long side
Then used these to add height and more insulation

Screw don't nail

Did you screw through the ply into the 2 x 1 and then into the joists or screw the 2 x 1 down first and then screw the ply to the 2 x 1?

Sponsored Links
I basically made I beams by screwing through ply to 2x1 top and bottom then a holding screw to the original rafter/joist

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back