Loft roof construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me with this.

I have a 1930's house, which has an attic room (it's barely useable given the ceiling height!), which has a load of low level cupboards built in to the eaves.

It's a very cold room, so I'd like to insulate it.

I've just had a look at the construction, which I think was done in the late 1990s and I think this is what I'm looking at.

Above the cupboards, I can see that the ceiling is quick thick (see my picture with the hand for scale). I'm guessing that when they converted the attic, they created a fairly large void, which was filled with insulation before they put the board over the top of it? This bit of the roof doesn't feel too cold, so I'm assuming there is some insulation in there?

In the cupboards, the low level bit of the roof is much colder. It looks like they have nailed plasterboards on to the roof rafters? Does this sound right? If so, I'd assume there's no insulation between the tiles and the plasterboard?

If anyone can confirm my assumptions, that would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• 20231113_114623.jpg
    20231113_114623.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20231113_114646.jpg
    20231113_114646.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 28
Sponsored Links
The thickness you have near the Velux is the depth of roof timbers and it is fair to assume they have insulated in between and maybe even over the rafters. To be certain you may have to create a hole just to see if that's the case and if so just how much depth of insulation there is. It would be worth going onto your local Council Planning Apps website and search your address which may tell you when the work was done and if you are lucky may have the plans to view so you can see what was specified at the time.

The thickness you have near the Velux is the depth of roof timbers and it is fair to assume they have insulated in between and maybe even over the rafters. To be certain you may have to create a hole just to see if that's the case and if so just how much depth of insulation there is. It would be worth going onto your local Council Planning Apps website and search your address which may tell you when the work was done and if you are lucky may have the plans to view so you can see what was specified at the time.
Thanks for this.

I did think about drilling a hole....I think I'll do that.

The plans for the work are on the Council website, so I'll have a look there. I didn't think of that. Good tip - thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back