loft/roof question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys. i have bought a 3 bed semi which was built in 1947 and was looking into a pos loft conv but after having a look in the loft it has left me a bit confused.

the h/room mesures 76ins from joist to apex.
the construction seems to be a trussed roof with the "w" configuration and this is the confusing bit as from everything i read, only builds post 1965 is supposed to have this type of roof?

i have checked the houses next to me and all have the same roof?
this has left me with a prob as i want a loft conv done without raising the roof. i bought the house at an auction and didn't think h/room would be a prob as house was built in 1947?

Sponsored Links
i bought the house at an auction and didn't think h/room would be a prob as house was built in 1947?
Why would you wanna go thinking that? Many lofts are unsuitable for conversion due to lack of height, with a floor to ridge of 1930mm even with a big dormer and some floor structure upgrading that sits within the existing ceiling joists you’ll be hard pushed to convert it and certainly no chance of making it feel good. Any chance you can lower the ceiling? Messy but doable! Planners are very unlikely to support roof raising on a semi.

hello mate. i did a bit of research on the net and the info i got was any house built before the 60s was i deal to convert due to having a steeper roof etc.

and this is why i thought this would be a good one to conv?
also, according to what i've read the roof i have was only meant to have been used after the 60s?

i am thinking about lowering the ceiling but how would this be done in terms of the roof joists?

How many of these W trusses (as you put it) are there? On every rafter or just say two or three in total? Can we have a photo of the roof please showing the existing structure? When you lower a ceiling you fit new floor joists at a lower level and the new ceiling hangs on these joists. It’s pretty messy as you have to rip out the existing ceiling/joists and of course can only be done if you have sufficient headroom below and there are no issues with existing window heads etc.

Sponsored Links
every rafter is the same mate and i will upload a pic asap.

cheers

You'll never be able to get a habitable room without raising the roof because for a staircase, you need min. 2m headroom above the pitch line of the stairs... or this can be reduced to 1.9m at the edge of the stair.

Why did you think this headroom would be ok? 76" is approx. 1.9m.

Because of that, there's no point in even considering the structural implications required (i.e. removing the trusses, replacing with beams).

hello mate. i did a bit of research on the net and the info i got was any house built before the 60s was i deal to convert due to having a steeper roof etc.

and this is why i thought this would be a good one to conv?
also, according to what i've read the roof i have was only meant to have been used after the 60s?

i am thinking about lowering the ceiling but how would this be done in terms of the roof joists?

I do not believe it, after all these years my old boss was telling the truth.
Anychance his time machine is still up there ;)

You'll never be able to get a habitable room without raising the roof because for a staircase, you need min. 2m headroom above the pitch line of the stairs... or this can be reduced to 1.9m at the edge of the stair.

Because of that, there's no point in even considering the structural implications required (i.e. removing the trusses, replacing with beams).
Lets let him measure his F-C on his 1st flr before we condemn it completely! It is Christmas afterall! :p

once at the top of the stair... there are no regs as to height of ceilings...

thanks for your reply guys.

in terms of headroom from the stairs, is it measured from the last step up to the ceiling? and if geraint is correct about no h/r limit once obove the stairs, then i might be in luck as i only need the room for my young kids!.

i have uploaded a couple of pics in my album as well for you to have a look at.
[/img]

Yes for once geraint is right there is no minimum ceiling height although there is a minimum height above the pitch line that needs to be achieved. Low ceilings are fine for kids but will put off any potential buyers.

is that all the way up or at the top :D jesus

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back