Shelving in the roof trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just raised the height of the joists in the loft to add extra insulation and have boarded over them.

Whilst up there I was thinking about shelving.

The house is a 70s house. The main loft is nearly square shape and only has outer brick walls - there are no internal brick walls upstairs (except the outside walls).

The roof trusses are a W shape with the centre of the the W being higher to touch the apex. The boarded section of the loft is under the middle of the W.

I was wondering if it is acceptable to screw a baton across the next part of the trusses to allow me to put a shelf across. I would need a baton on two trusses then I could span the gap with a shelf for storage.

I have attached a picture of what I mean. The black bit shows the trusses. The blue is my boarded section. The red is where I propose to put a baton (this could be duplicated on the other side too.

Is this acceptable?

Attachments

• roof.png
    roof.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 395
Sponsored Links
I am not an engineer but have done this on every house owned in last 40 years. Obviously be reasonable and don't use them for car engines!

I think it might be worthwhile putting your battens between the two timbers in the "W" to prevent the weight of the shelf pushing down and wedging them apart, thus no longer straight (and a bit shorter)

edit, yes, like your sketch

Sponsored Links
I can't help it, my job involves writing up the mistakes of people 'that have been doin it that way man n boy for 40 years'.

So yes I am over cautious.

Thanks for all the replies. That will be my next project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back