Loft set-up for alarm, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've decided to locate all of the following in my loft space and not to far from the loft hatch:
- alarm control panel
- DVR
- relay for interconnected smoke alarms
- telephone point
- Auto dialler for alarm

The power provision for all of the above is in the right location and I am ow wondering how I should fit the above items in. I am tempted to build a unit myself as I can do that in the loft and space the shelves accordingly. Is this wise and are there any tips/reccomendations

Sponsored Links
Check the various manufacturer's product specifications for maximum ambient temperatures and then compare those maximums to the temperatures that may occur in your loft on a hot sunny day.

just remember that where you put it you have to access it for servicing.

loft spaces can get pretty hot.

Sponsored Links
My loft has good ventilation as all the soffits are vented.
I can't believe that I am the first to consider the loft for such equipment?

Servicing will be simple as they will be right next to the loft hatch. One would have to pop their head through the hatch to access the equipment.

What do we think?

I think that you might be surprised at how uncomfortable it can be working on equipment that is installed in a domestic loft.

they will be right next to the loft hatch

so would one be sitting ( crouching ) on a flat surface or standing on a ladder with head and shoulder through the hatch ?

You could stand on loft ladder or kneel down in the loft. Items could very easily be isolated and removed if necessary.

SLA's don't like it hot, but a certain local company to me loves putting them in hot places.

You need to think it through, I certainly wont touch some alarms in lofts nowadays because they haven't allowed for access or added things to the loft to restrict access to the point of requiring the flexibility of a contortionist just to get the lid off, then find a nest of wires, very wary of those with bad/ unsafe access.

have you any spent time working off a loft ladder, screwing terminals adding hard heavy SLA's, drop it near the hatch and its going to make a mess of something or someone.

Last edited:
I really don't think accessibility will be an issue. You could pop yourself on to the loftboard and reach across to unscrew alarmboard as it will be on the other side of the hatch. The dvr can just be unplugged.

Coo - aren't we a negative bunch! :D

I have stuff installed in my loft... but I have sprayed PU foam insulation on the roof, not the floor. This means that the loft doesn't get too hot (or cold). We have installed kit in lofts with ventilated gable ends without problems. You could always duct some cold air from a soffit, using a computer fan, or put the kit in a ventilated rack.

thanks. Do I buy a unit or build something from wood? The concern with buying is the difficulty in getting it through the hatch and ensuring that all ny devices fit in it.

Make it with slats, like airing cupboard shelves, and solid sides. Put fan(s) (or fan tray?) underneath. Wood is good (in my book, anyway!)

plywood or osb board for sides? And then have shelves with airing cupboard doors. Have I got the right idea?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back