Discreet loft hatch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from another post on roofing I am considering having a ceiling hatch put in my loft room (there will be limited heeight above this of about 4 ft high and a max with of 6 ft usable space but it does mean that some items could be stored away. BUT I would like the hatch to be as inconspicuous as possible - any tips?

Sponsored Links
not very easy

the trap door will be some sort of wood[mdf possibly]

the opening needs protection as the plaster or plasterboard is vunerable at the edge you also need to finnish the edge onto the rafters
so in short you cant realy hide the trap door you can only try an reduce its impact
by things like lampshades that dont iluminate the ceilling ect

I have fitted a suspended ceiling tiles for a client under the loft trap for the same reason in the bathroom, depending if you like or dislike the idea of suspended ceiling.

siriusb said:
Following on from another post on roofing I am considering having a ceiling hatch put in my loft room (there will be limited heeight above this of about 4 ft high and a max with of 6 ft usable space but it does mean that some items could be stored away. BUT I would like the hatch to be as inconspicuous as possible - any tips?

Just paint the hatch the same as the ceiling ;)

Sponsored Links
markie said:
Just paint the hatch the same as the ceiling ;)

No, don't do that. Paint the ceiling the same as the hatch.

you could always fix the hatch liner a couple of inches above the ceiling line, return the plasterboard up to the liner, bead and skim.
this way, you wont need architraves.

Can't you backfill the joints then paint it over, won't notice then,

Doh! where my coat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back