Loft set-up for alarm, etc.

I've had my equipment in the loft for years without an issue and it gets relatively hot for the very few days we have - mid 30s according to my remote reading downstairs. It is now reading 19.9C and until recently has been between 3C and 12C.

It's a gamble but without having a dedicated room built it was the best option to allow for the masses of equipment and cabling to terminate in one area.

Access is via a proper dropdown loft ladder and there is plenty of space available making it simple for servicing. All the equipment is mounted on boards or shelves.

Sponsored Links
don't get me wrong, done right its an advantage, done wrong it can be a nightmare and I have seen well done and badly done enough times to know someone has or hasn't thought the process through well enough now within seconds of open the loft hatch door.

Is it worth considering a smoke alarm in the loft linked to alarms on the floors below for the un-likely (?) event of a device overheating and catching fire. ?

Sponsored Links
I don't have any, no, but then it is an entire wall of units for the alarm and expansion units, aerial, modified and updated siren gubbins, lighting zone controllers, DVR, RAID, monitor, and various modules, UPS, banks of sockets, PSUs, batteries and masses of cabling. It does all look incredibly neat and is a credit to the installer. There are more flashing lights, beeps and DVR fan humming in the loft than you'd want in a living space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back