Loft space liveable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noted that planning consent is not normally required subject to not exceeding certain limits etc and also that Building Regs only needed if you intend to make what the YouGov page I read calls "liveable space".

However, what constitutes "liveable space"? What I am driving at is, is there a definition of liveable space, outside of which "storage only" would therefore fall?

In short, if I want to simply board a floor out for loft storage, can I assume that Building Regs is not required, on the basis that it ain't a "liveable space?

...or is that just wishful thinking?

Sponsored Links
If you stick in roof lights, a bed, fridge for beer, an xbox 360, tv and a stairwell then they might see that as liveable.. anything else is just slumming it..

Basically if you spend a number of hours a day in the loft then its considered living space and should be vented/fireproofed etc as such.. unless you intend to spend 8hrs a day storing things i wouldnt worry

So you saying that for a storage conversion, ie just floor, I shouldn't need planning or building regs?

So you saying that for a storage conversion, ie just floor, I shouldn't need planning or building regs?

Correct. And if you put in a fixed staircase, that would normally constitute living/habitable space as you wouldn't go the expense of putting in a fixed staircase if you were only using the area for storage purposes.

Just ask yourself this... if you did start to use the space for more than a storage area, a fire developed on the floor below... what price could you put on somebodys life for not going through the normal legal procedures?

Sponsored Links
light storage = joists at 50mm=100mm 4x2" structural normaly = 8x2" or there abouts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back