loft storage area -2 consumer unit

BBM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Have been reading various threads on the forum, I am making a storage area of the loft. It was existing wired up with a ring main for the socket and a fused take off from this for the lights.
I have sorted everything out with BC they want a certificate of installation which I have talk to a local electrician and he will check my work etc.

But I have to upgrade my shower supply from 6mm2 to 10mm2 which is fine as it will have its own CU, now as I have 6mm2 running from the ground floor up to the loft left over I was thinking of putting in a 2nd cu running off the 6mm2 separating the 2 circuits, Lights and sockets.

So I would have only 2 lights in the lighting on 1 MCB, and about 4-5 sockets on the other MCB.

It just I don't like the messy way the previous owner wired it up which I believe is fine but would like to utilise the 6mm2 thats left over as it seem logical.

No problems with the existing run 90% in free air and less than 100m2 area.

Sorry for the long story but trying to give as much info as possible.

thanks in advance
BBM

Sponsored Links
You MUST find your electrician first, and agree with her what work she is happy for you to do, and any questions you have you MUST ask her and nobody else.

Otherwise "they want a certificate of installation which I have talk to a local electrician and he will check my work etc" just won't work - you won't get a certificate and then you won't get a completion notice from Building Control.

Hi,
Sorry I should have made it clear at the lights and sockets are existing I was think of tidying up the feed to them. But will talk to and see what the electrician feels is acceptable before I do anything.
cheers
BBM

No you haven't made yourself clear.
You mention the existing wiring as if as though there has been some alteration done.
Also separating lighting and socket circuits by use of the shower circuit and installing two CUs.
Please elaborate!

Sponsored Links
existing shower is 6mm2 from main CU

existing lighting and sockets to loft is 2.5mm2 ring to sockets with fused take off point for lights (all on single fuse at main CU)
------------
6mm2 for shower is inadequate for shower so is being changed to 10mm2 with tails to its own independent shower CU.

The change in shower cable has no impact of loft storage area but leaves the 6mm2 at a loose end free fuse in main box.

-----------------
My thoughts were as this 6mm2 is now spare I could run it into a new 2 way CU in the loft and having the circuits independent of each other.

this would leave the 2.5mm2 cable that originally feed the sockets and lights as free which cold be removed.

hope images make more sense
//www.diynot.com/network/BBM/albums/12200

BBM

Just cut the 6mil off and leave your sockets and lights as they are.

You are just making work for your self, and the new consumer unit is entirely unnecessary.

As RF Lighting states, you making hard work of it.
I assume you have no problems with the existing load to socket/light circuit and the ring final in loft is a ring final and not hatched up job.
So just disconnect the 6.00mm cable from CU.

Hi,

Thanks for the advise I was just trying to utilise the spare 6mm and tidy everything up as PO was not the best at tidying wires

cheers
from a rainy Glasgow
BBM

You can still tidy up, if you want, without putting a CU onto the end of that redundant 6mm² ?

If you're worried about running the loft lights off a socket circuit, how big a job would it be to move them onto the floor below's lighting circuit? Leave the loft sockets on their existing ring.

It's a grand idea for them not to be on the same circuit as the floor below for when you want to use the light from them to see to work up there on the circuit of the floor below...

Hi Lads,
I was not worried about taking the lights from the sockets but will just tidy up as is and leave the 6mm where it is, disconnected of course from the main CU.

I might need to run a wire up there in the future one never knows

thanks again
BBM

Dont forget to terminate it at both ends into junction boxes.....

If the cable is still in the CU put all three wires into the earth bar and

at the other end put all three wires in the same terminal.

Then it will be obvious to anyone finding it that it is not being used and/or live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back