Loft storage weight question

The bottom layer of insulation should be running inbetween the existing trusses, the insulation above runs parallel with the counter battens.

Fast forward to 2.34

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Secure loft legs should be fine. The boards on top of them will help spread the weight.

Yea it's odd he struggles along on just the joists, I've surveyed plenty of lofts whilst stood on just the joists and that's bad enough, let alone doing all that, one slip and disaster as well as the sore legs/knees.

But hopefully it finally demonstrates to the OP that his insulation needn't get squashed.

Sponsored Links
The bottom layer of insulation should be running inbetween the existing trusses, the insulation above runs parallel with the counter battens.

Fast forward to 2.34

Weird that he adds the new insulation using joists that don't look tall enough resulting in the new insulation being compressed.

Just lay celotex on the joists and hardboard on top, it's all you need for loft storage.

It's up to you, it really won't make a heap of difference so just do what you're most comfortable doing, as mentioned I've stored heaps more than 25kg/m2 in a trussed loft and lived to tell the tale. I stored a whole lot more in the loft in our last house and reading some of the threads on this forum I should not be alive. I am a walking miracle.
I've decided to use timber cross battens and have now ordered 175mm x 47mm timbers and 2400mm x 600mm chipboard sheets 18mm thick. The area i am boarding is just extending what is already there and is only 2.4m x 2.4m.

Ply seems to weigh less, though I don't know the figures.

I now have my 47mm x 175mm x 2400mm battens. The total weight including the chipboard sheets now comes to 23kg/m2. Doesn’t leave much capacity for storage if a trussed roof is only rated for 25kg/m2.

Just lay celotex on the joists and hardboard on top, it's all you need for loft storage.

I know nobody likes a smart arse, but you're almost building a structural floor, suitable for domestic use, when all you needed was something basic and light.

This is me (17 stone) stood on one foot on 65mm PIR with a thin bit of MDF (bottom of a kitchen drawer) on top. Obviously it deflects a bit when I'm on it (I only had 65mm lying around - these days I'd probably go for 150mm which is far more rigid), but so what, I don't spend much time hopping around the loft. PIR is also a better performing insulator than mineral wool, especially as it eliminates the cold bridging when using joists.

Attachments

• IMG_20230523_111846269.jpg
    IMG_20230523_111846269.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 48
I know nobody likes a smart arse, but you're almost building a structural floor, suitable for domestic use, when all you needed was something basic and light.

This is me (17 stone) stood on one foot on 65mm PIR with a thin bit of MDF (bottom of a kitchen drawer) on top. Obviously it deflects a bit when I'm on it (I only had 65mm lying around - these days I'd probably go for 150mm which is far more rigid), but so what, I don't spend much time hopping around the loft. PIR is also a better performing insulator than mineral wool, especially as it eliminates the cold bridging when using joists.
I think I am going to need to figure out a way to reduce the load on the loft timbers. I could install joist hangers on the end wall but that still leaves the opposite end sitting on a loft timber.

I think I am going to need to figure out a way to reduce the load on the loft timbers. I could install joist hangers on the end wall but that still leaves the opposite end sitting on a loft timber.

I don't know the layout of your loft, but fortunately the normal rules regarding deflection of timbers don't matter that much in the world of loft storage - if you can span from wall to wall with some reasonable sized timbers (and keep them away from the ceiling joists) to hang your platform off it doesn't matter (within reason) how much it sags). I once built a large floating platform with one side bearing on the spine wall and the other end hung from a 4x2 spanning 3.5m - bit bouncy but didn't break.

To be honest, you might get away with it - if your bedroom ceilings crack you should probably do something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back