Boarding my loft options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am presently increasing the thickness of loft insulation to 270mm and have an area where I need to lay additional loft boards for storage purposes. I have a trussed roof which I believe is rated for 25kg/m2 but now that it gave the chipboard sheets and the 175mm x 47mm wood battens I have estimated the loading to be 23kg/m2 leaving very little room for storing anything. I have seen the Loftzone system and have calculated that using this instead of the wood battens would reduce the loading to 16kg/m2. What is the general opinion on the Loftzone system? It’s more expensive than wood battens but that’s not an issue for me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have decided to go with the Loftzone system due to weight concerns in the loft. Loftzone seem to get good reviews and I got a decent deal from Hombase.

I have decided to go with the Loftzone system due to weight concerns in the loft. Loftzone seem to get good reviews and I got a decent deal from Hombase.
I've got no complaints from my Lofzone install.
Easy and quick to fix, also light and strong enough on my 3 x 2" loft joists! - although I have since reinforced the joists and reused the Loftzone kit.

...although it's a bit pricey for some recycled plastic and galvanized channel! :)

I've got no complaints from my Lofzone install.
Easy and quick to fix, also light and strong enough on my 3 x 2" loft joists! - although I have since reinforced the joists and reused the Loftzone kit.

...although it's a bit pricey for some recycled plastic and galvanized channel! :)
Its costing twice what the 7" x 2" roof joists have cost me, fortunately the supplier of the joists is happy to take them back.

Sponsored Links
Bit late, so for future reference, depending on the spans - 7 by 2s could do 4m+ for a loft on their own, so depending on relative stiffness you might find most of the load is taken by the cross battens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back