Loft storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just signed up here to ask this question. I live in a new build house, 3 years old. I currently have it part boarded from new, which is more of a walkway from the loft hatch to the front of the house. This space is currently being filled up and conscious of the weight being placed over one area, it's partly over an internal wall.

I don't want to board out the loft, but I was looking at increasing the storage space by putting some spare chipboard across the support V shaped beams. The chipboard would lay on some sort of timber ledge screwed onto these support beams.

I have provided a picture of the V shaped beams below (I've grabbed this from another topic on here, but it best shows what I'm trying to explain). The idea is the chipboard would lay across it.

I presume the weight here would push down onto the internal wall, would this be safe at all?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The roof is of a modern engineer construction and uses what we in the trade call W trusses. You will perfectly safe laying chipboard flooring down the center and screwing to the ceiling ties pack the flooring up so you maintain the insulation thickness and not reduce its thickness the insulation for storage it will be perfectly safe and cause no problems

I could be wrong - either interpreting the OP's question or the reply - but either way what's been said is confusing.
I thought the OP wanted to put boarding (or rather shelving) inside the V-shape of the ties - i.e. nowhere near the insulation (which is mentioned in the reply).
I think what they want to know is whether the extra weight at the vertical mid-point of the truss is going to cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
If the owner wants to put chipboard in the V they can it won't effects the roof structure as long as they don't cut any ties just nail some 3 x 2 across at the same level for the chipboard to sit on it wil be fine for light storage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back