Loft under old roof with torching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two years ago we bought anold 1950's house - I specifically asked about the roof as it looked older than the majority of houses on our estates who've had theirs redone.

We've got a really big loft which I've mostly boarded, however the torching underneath the tiles causes a huge amount of dust - I can't go into the loft to retrieve anything without needing to shower afterwards and cough for the rest of the day if I venture in without a mask.

Obviously having a new roof is probably the best way to go but I'd like to think we'd get a few more years out of this one and in the meantime I'm just wondering if anyone has made the best of having a loft underneath this type of roof? My father in law suggested installing some type of mesh/membrane underneath to stop it falling on everything we've got store up there - has anyone done this?

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised that a 1950's roof was still being torched.

Mesh wont do much for particles and wind blown dust.
You could use the cheapest sheets of say hardboard or plasterboard screwed up to the joists?
Dont use any thing fabric that could be a fire risk.

I'm surprised that a 1950's roof was still being torched.

Mesh wont do much for particles and wind blown dust.
You could use the cheapest sheets of say hardboard or plasterboard screwed up to the joists?
Dont use any thing fabric that could be a fire risk.

Cheers - that's a thought - although a hell of a lot of board - I will price up. Would that cause a problem if the roof started to fail i.e. would be hard to spot a leak or cause any issues when I do finally get a new roof put on?

If the roof "starts to fail" then you would notice it happening either from inside the house or definitely outside.
Modern standards for loft roof insulation etc. also cover all the rafter bays likewise loft conversions.
So its live with the dust or cover up I guess - although, hopefully, someone on here will come along with a better idea?

Sponsored Links
Fabric membrane would be a lot easier to install [staple it on] and easier to get through a loft hatch. If fire is a concern then get a fire-retardant one [eg Tyvek Firecurb Housewrap].
That still leaves you with the problem of how to inspect the roof, though. Water staining might be apparent on the underside of the membrane if it's getting in.
Why *wouldn't* fire be a concern? My reasoning is that by the time the flames are licking at the underside of the roof, you're already screwed anyway, so it probably doesn't matter which way you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back