Loft vent letting cold air in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The loft vent is letting freezing air into the upstairs landing, it can get pretty chilly.
I need to change this vent pictured or adjust it somehow.
If i can identify the brand or version it is I can then do something to stop the cold coming in.
Any ideas folks would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What's at the other end of it? I would assume that the usual flow of air would be from your side, in to the loft, given that warm air rises...but deliberately doing that doesn't make any sense and would lead to unnecessary moisture in your loft space. So there must be more to it than that.

What's at the other end of it? I would assume that the usual flow of air would be from your side, in to the loft, given that warm air rises...but deliberately doing that doesn't make any sense and would lead to unnecessary moisture in your loft space. So there must be more to it than that.

it is cold air coming in from the loft space, through the roof tiles, we have only just moved in, the loft is not very well insulated, it has the usual fibreglass insulation but no membrane between tiles and loft space, so its taking in cold air and pushing it through the vent pictured.

hugothere, good evening.

If it were me, I would block of this vent, either in the loft or simply fill the vent on the underside.

Is there any sort of "duct" attached to the upper side of this vent in the loft??

As for Insulation up grade, there are some schemes where you can get this done for free?? worth a look??

Up side is that your loft appears to be correctly vented.

Ken

Sponsored Links
hugothere, good evening.

If it were me, I would block of this vent, either in the loft or simply fill the vent on the underside.

Is there any sort of "duct" attached to the upper side of this vent in the loft??

As for Insulation up grade, there are some schemes where you can get this done for free?? worth a look??

Up side is that your loft appears to be correctly vented.

Ken
Thanks. yes i will probably end up filling it in with something, maybe some polystyrene, its hard to get at from the loft as the fibreglass insulation is so thick and i didn't fancy risking getting my clothes contaminated with it, dangerous stuff, i want to replace it all with a safer product like
the Thermafleece Wool Insulation so i can use the loft for storage, at the moment it looks very inhospitable.
I'm wondering if they would upgrade it to the Thermafleece and put in a membrane in the grant gov schemes?

The weird thing is... the previous owners blocked the other part of the loft off and plastered the access hole so i cant get to it. I think i have two loft areas but cant get to the other one.

Last edited:
sounds like its vented just into the roof space and not externally ducted?

if it was me, i'd remove the vent and repair the hole thats left

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back