Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a few troubles with my heating in the house, and i've discovered that theres only half to one inch of insulation in the loft. How much do i need and whats the best stuff to get ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You need at least four inches. Look in any DIY store at their rolls fibre matting.

personally, I'd go for at least 200mm depth of a mineralfibre insulation. More if you are intorested in serious energy saVing, but then you need to look at the house as A whole - walls, roof. windows. doors, even floor. And draughts as well as insulation. Theses no point in stuffing 400 mm Of rock wool into your loft if you've got rattley old single glazing . If you are interested in a 'green' approach. there are some interestng products out there -warmCell (from newspaper) sheepswool etc. but cost can be a problem, and they need a little care in installing.
make sure you don't block your eaves ventilation with insulation - Keep the space above the insulation cool and draughty .

Sponsored Links
I have double glazing all around, so that's not an issue.

The house does get warm, but then it loses heat quickly.

I think i'll get more than less. How much is more guys????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back