Log cabin builder needs advice on base covering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - a bit complicated but here goes. I am building a log cabin not subject to Building reguilations.

It is 16 metres by 5.5 metres supported on God knows how many block pillars --- like roman columns - as the ground slopes and I wasn't allowed proper foundations.

I need advice on what to put under the main floor beams - then it will be the insulation and the floorboards - but the very underneath is causing me grief. I thought firt of all to use OSB board but worried that the damp will rise from the soil (in a vapour manner) and rot it - also very expensive. Marine ply horrendous! any ideas --- is there special netting? Remember it has to be able to withstand mice entry (or worse!!!) and has to support the insulation. Many thanks in anticipation. Have a GREAT sunny day! ;)

Sponsored Links
Its all well ventilated, so an external grade ply eg wbp, with a coat of preservative or varnish will be fine.

The alternative would be a calcium silicate board - eg supalux .... or masterboard may be cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back