Log Cabin Ring beam base joining.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:LOL: Hi - Help please. I am building a log cabin from scratch (with temporary planning permission). Base has to be free standing so am using block pillars. On top of these pillars strategically placed I am putting a ring beam (so I am told!) of timber 8" x 2" on edge. As the total length of one side is 16 metres how would I join the lengths and corners for best strength? The beam will be taking framed panels. I am a total novice so any sort of technical terms for fixing hardware might need explaining. Thanks and have a GREAT day. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi Freddy and Alistair..... I have been allowed the log cabin for two years - in other words temporary planning permission. After two years it is supposed to be removed.... hence trying to build at low cost. I see you are in Ayrshire Alistair - I am almost on the border. Best regards both of you and thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Well based on your really vague description..
Put in more piers. Any joint between timbers should have a pier below it thus the need for strong connections is eliminated.
If you intend to have a pier in each corner you should think again..

Distance between piers will depend on what you are supporting, loads in the cabin, roof, construction etc etc.. It may only be designed to last 2 years but you dont want it collapsing in the first stiff breeze..

Thanks for that static - was going to put in quite a few block supports. The main worry is the joining/splicing of the long pieces of timber so that apart from the weight of my log panels pushing down.... hopefully offset by the block tiers.... I want to give as much stability as possible. Especially at the corners so needed to know do I use mortice joints and ironwork like steel fixing plates or angle iron plates???

You shouldnt need to use the corners for stability, assuming you are putting a standard timber floor the noggins and joists will do that along with the boarding as a diaphram..

Anyways if you want to go belt and braces then try stuff like:
For angles or splice plates

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back