Garden cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about building a large garden cabin (timber only) and wanted to ask for some advice please.

The cabin will be at teh bottom of garden (more then 5m from the house) and I am planning on keeping the height of the roof below 3.3m to avoid planning permission (wall height is 2.2m).

I want this to be 7m x 6m and do not want to lay a concrete base due to water logging issues. There was a concrete base there when we moved in, I removed this and put in a large soak away which has helped with the winter water logging.

I was thinking if using posts, concreted in and using a timber base (similar to some decking bases) attached to the posts, I then planned to build stud walls and then put a pitched roof on. Can any of you suggest alternative methods or highlight any potential nightmares with this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello! The log cabin is a fantastic addition to any garden and home. Log cabins can be converted into a fully functioning and versatile living space to suit you and your family’s needs.
Log cabins can typically be bought in self-build home kits, delivered to your home straight from the manufacturer or seller. This is a less expensive alternative, as you don’t have to dish out the additional cost of having someone else erect the structure for you. You can also purchase log cabin build plans online or from a DIY store, and buy in the materials yourself. Whichever method you chose, you’ll have to make sure that your log cabin is built on a strong, level base that has been well prepared. This will not only ensure that the cabin is built on a solid foundation and won’t sink or absorb moisture from the earth below. The area of the foundations should span at least the area of the floor, in line with the cabin walls and finish around one inch above ground level. This is why opting for a traditional square or rectangular shaped log cabin is preferable, as laying down a base for these shapes will be a much simpler affair!

As far as base material is concerned, concrete foundations are most common. However, you can also create a strong, level base by laying down a layer of hardcore and then use other materials such as railway sleepers or paving slabs.

You should take into account the issue of drainage, especially if your garden is host to a moisture-retaining soil type such as clay. Laying a semi-porous weed oppressing membrane underneath concrete strip foundations (at right angles to the bearers) is one such solution. This will stop any unwanted plants growing up through the floor of your log cabin.
Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back