Log cabin base but restricted access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought a small 2 bed terraced house with a garden big enough to put my log cabin in (for work).

Please see attached the photo of how the garden looks now. The raised section at the back is decking but it looks like it has been there a long time!

Access to the back garden is via a small footpath at the sides of the houses, so i am not going to be able to get any tonne bags dropped off to get the base sorted out etc.

What would the best way be to provide a good base for my log cabin to be built on? (i have ordered it from tuin) The log cabin is 3m x 3m

I was going to remove the decking - will soil be under decking or is it likely to be concrete ?

Would you use a timber frame, concrete base etc?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200130-213802.png
    Screenshot_20200130-213802.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 286
Sponsored Links
How wide is a small footpath these days?

You don't have to have a poured concrete base for posh sheds. The other popular approach is to have concrete pads at corners and a wooden frame between them.

Decking can hide anything, the only way to know what's there is to take it up.

The footpath is probably about 70--80 cm wide. By concrete pads do you mean breeze blocks? Would i still dig down and then put the block in to make sure that the timber is just above ground level? Do you literally sit the concrete blocks on the ground that is there, or do you have to concrete them in to ground?

i've done more research and think a timber frame is best.
Can someone confirm that what i plan is correct?

1. Remove all of decking
2. Set out rough area of log cabin perimeter and mark out
3. Dig post holes on the inner corners of log cabin
4. Install 5x5" timber posts into the ground with postcrete, making sure all 4 corner posts level up - are 5x5 fence posts strong enough to support log cabin?
5. Once posts and concrete has set, i can then affix 6x2 timber to the timber posts and then using joist hangers i can provide support across the framework.
Would you double up (laminate) the 6x2 joists around the perimeter?

Also, would you put a dpm on the ground, effectively between the floor and below the timber? I'm assuming no excavation is required apart from the hole posts, due to the gap between base / ground and bottom of joists?
Do i seem to be thinking along the right lines. This will negate the access issue as timber can just be carried through!

cheers

Sponsored Links
The access isn't really an issue, I could get my digger and power barrow in there no problem.

If it was me I would probably look at setting it on either concrete blocks or slabs. You need the floor of the new shed/summerhouse there to know where to put the blocks. It will need support in the middle too

If you are going to put posts at the corners maybe you should think about setting them on metal post supports set in concrete. This will stop them rotting.

The access isn't really an issue, I could get my digger and power barrow in there no problem.

If it was me I would probably look at setting it on either concrete blocks or slabs. You need the floor of the new shed/summerhouse there to know where to put the blocks. It will need support in the middle too

Would you just sit the blocks directly on the surface, or would you dig down a bit and put some hardcore under the block?

I was planning on doing the edges first (ensuring that the first logs of the cabin are resting on the doubled up 6x2 on the outside of the frame. once happy i would then build the floor using the 6x2 joist providing support to the square framework.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back