Log/Coal Fire HOW? I Got old back boiler and now new combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We moved into the house 8 years ago

We had a old fire and back boiler in the chimney but when the old fire and back boiler broke we had fitted a new combi fitted.

I took out the front of the fire and plaster boarded over the hole but left the boiler behind there (did put a vent in for circulation)

SO........

Now the wife wants a open fire

SO........

How / Can i do it ??????????

Any help very welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't say how the old fire "broke", however you should be extemely careful as a back-boiler could explode if not correctly de-commissioned .

I would suggest you either remove the boiler or get a plumber to de-commission it with appropriate safeguards.

Can't help with rest, sorry.

Hi Again

Ye the back boiler broke,we had a plumber come out to us and basicly say its all over........F***ed

so

He fitted a combi boiler for us in another room.

He then took the front of the fire off for us so i could plaster board over the hole (i did put a small vent in as told by plumber)
I do know that the gas supply to the fire was take away.

So back to my original question

We moved into the house 8 years ago

We had a old fire and back boiler in the chimney but when the old fire and back boiler broke we had fitted a new combi fitted.

I took out the front of the fire and plaster boarded over the hole but left the boiler behind there (did put a vent in for circulation)

SO........

Now the wife wants a open fire

SO........

How / Can i do it ??????????

Any help very welcome

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In short you need to

1. Remove the back boiler (making sure the water and gas are disconnected.)
2. Strip back the opening and replace bricks etc as necessary.
3. Get it swept and the condition of the flue checked by a sweep.
4. Either use a fire basket in the bare brick opening if suitable or reinstate a fire-back and fireplace.

Fist things first though is to get the back boiler out and get the flue swept and check and see where to go from there.

Be careful as the boiler may be full of rusty scummy water etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back