London Roof - DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

1st time and I have to DIY, so pls help a lady.

I have a London Roof - V shape slate roof with lead gully in middle.

There are cracks in the lead gully, which means I have water entering my home right across.

I have spoken to roofers who say replace lead gully - which will mean removing the slates and turn the whole thing into a big job & ££ - I just don't have the money.

Can anyone suggest any kind of method/compound that would seal the cracks and would last for a good couple of years? One that I could do myself? :mad: :confused:

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Here ;)

Pop down to your local roofing merchants for this and not diy superstores.

You will need a mastic gun, if you're lucky they normally have them in the Pound's shop ;)
images

If it's repairs correctly, it will last for years.

Saving ££££££ :D

Thanks - but do you think it will last for a couple of years without cracking due to sun and/or movement?

In addition, there isn't much fall to the lead gully - meaning that water just sits there - would this product be able to handle it all?

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about the puddle, thousand of homes with gutter and flat roof all have puddle, as long it's not leaking it should be okay as the water just dried up instead of leaking although you can get roofing mastic to prevent puddle but that will go somewhere else!

If you wanted too, you can buy gutter lining on top of your lead, see here

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot!!!!

I was just quoted £550 for a days work to replace the lead!

Have a beautiful day

xx

You dont describe accurately what requires repairing. Is it a valley, an actual gutter between two roofs, a lead flat or something else?
Water cant sit in a valley.

Gessa said:
Thanks a lot!!!!

I was just quoted £550 for a days work to replace the lead!

Have a beautiful day

xx
:eek: Does that include the lead :?: ...You`d get the best part of a weeks work from an old plumber in Sussex for that :LOL: Any chance of a pic..........Have been known to patch them splits by leadburning :eek: But that was before Uppark burned to the ground........The National Trust were`nt too pleased :oops: .....I had my M8 sitting inside the roof all day with a xtinguisher and hose...Dun`er a goodun ;)

There is no substitute for doing the proper job which is complete replacement, however this pretty much does what it says on the tin.

Available from roofing merchants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back