Leaky roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a touch of a problem, I have a 1913 house with a slate roof which is not underfelted, in one of the gullies there is a 6" crack halfway up and across the lead gully, which is letting in water.
Would this be better to be lead soldered or are there products out there that you can advise on.
The rest of the roof and gullies are in a good state.

Sponsored Links
Soldering the split is a waste of time..it will split again near by. if the rest of the roof is in good condition simply have the lead replaced with new lead or preformed grp

how much £££ do you want to spend :?: It is possible in some cases to put a patch of lead over and leadburn it around which may be cheaper than renewal ...and I`d go for GRP if renewing ;) ...patch it with Flashband for now ;)

Thanks i am not one to do a cheap job as i am intending to stay a long time but as the rest of the lead seems to be in a v good state i think a repair is possible, the question is what is the best repair for the job?
ie if you get a puncture in car tyre it is not always a requirement to replace it.

Sponsored Links
a car tyre puncture is completely different. a "split" in the lead is usally caused by the lead being fitted in excessively long lengths or secured badly.
if the split is cased by thermal movment over time, then if you solder/burn a patch on the origanal problem is still there. In time it will pull itself apart again without doubt.
However if you are talking about a hole which has been worn through or b impact then get someone to burn a patch on.. check they are insured to use heat on your home first..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back