long delay between switch on on shower pump starting ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When we turn on the shower there's upto a 30 second wait befor the pump kicks in .
Dont know what's up here ??
The large shower head is 7ft higher than the pump if this makes any difference ????

Any thoughts please

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Salamander from memory .

At work so 55 miles away :LOL:

I've got exactly the same problem with a Salamander pump (ESP 100 CPV). Turning water on produces weak weak flow, and then after 10-20 seconds the pump kicks in and works just fine (other than being too loud for my liking). This is strange, since it does have a pressurised camera, which should provide pressure instantly. Have you managed to find a solution?

I've got exactly the same problem with a Salamander pump (ESP 100 CPV). Turning water on produces weak weak flow, and then after 10-20 seconds the pump kicks in and works just fine (other than being too loud for my liking). This is strange, since it does have a pressurised camera, which should provide pressure instantly. Have you managed to find a solution?

The solution turned out to be to call the Salamander number written on the top of the pump. They clearly have heard of this before. The problem was that this particular pump is meant to be clever enough to figure out the negative/positive head configuration by itself, based on water pressure etc. And this was not happening correctly -- the pump was configuring itself to positive head (yellow LED on), when it should have in fact configured itself for negative head (green LED on). To force the pump to configure itself to negative head, you'll need to turn it off, and then on again. Now as soon as you turn it on again, while it is checking itself, the yellow and then the green LED will light up. As soon as the green one comes on, switch off the pump and wait for 5-6 seconds. Then switch it on again and it should then set itself to use the negative head configuration, with the green LED staying permanently on, which means that it now believes that it is in a negative head set-up, which is correct.

It is certainly simpler than the solution offered to me by a plumber, who suggested that I needed non-return valves going both in and out of the pump on both cold and hot. Which incidentally would have been wrong and against the installation instructions which explicitly prohibit them.

I had exactly the same problem when I fitted a new bar/mixer in my bathroom.

My salamander pump would delay before it kicked in and the longer the shower was not used, the longer the delay.

I guessed there was no negative demand to the pump so assumed a blockage or head of pressure somewhere so I removed the check valves from the new mixer and BAM PROBLEM SOLVED.

I called salamander who told me that the check valves were not necessary but anyhow I removed the check valves from the old mixer/bar and DOUBLE BAM.

Problem still solved and I have check valves in the new mixer.

FAULT: (in my case) Check valves that were either too sticky or that needed too much force to move the spring.

The original check valves were considerably softer than the new ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back