Long House and Slow hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in an old (1675) house which is basically lots of rooms in a long line, the boiler which is oil fired at one end of the house with a hot water tank above. The hot water can take over 10 minutes to get to the other end of the house. My question is there any way of speeding this up, the pressure is quite good so expecting not. Its grade II and thatched so no loft to speak of.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Faced with a similar problem of long pipe runs I decided to have two hot water tanks. One in the kitchen and one in the bath room. Works well.

Fit a hot water return that way water is accessible from the taps regardless of where they are pretty much instantly.

Continuosuly circulating water and well lagged pipework? You'll need a pump that is on all the time - I expect once the system is hot, the losses won't be that bad - not as bad as having to draw off tens of litres of water and replace that with cold water in the cylinder just to wash your hands. I recon hotels probably have something like this. The pump doesn't need to give huge amounts of head, just enough to circ to the furthest point and back.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
You need a hot water secondary circulation system installing - basically a return pipe on the hot and a circulator to run a constant loop of hot water around your house. Connect it to a timer and a pipe thermostat and it'll only come on when you want it to and the pipe isn't hot already

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back