Long kitchen extractor duct. Supplementary fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a standard cooker hood type extractor. For various reasons, the ducting will have to follow a long, tortuous route of about 18 feet with possibly 5 right angle bends. I assume that there will be a loss of power because of this.

Would fitting an extra in-line duct fan at the outlet help? Does anyone have experience of this?

Sponsored Links
bends will obviously reduce flow considerably, i have two fans on my bathoom ducting, works very well, but i suggest your 2nd fan should be the same as the first

Many thanks for that Breezer. It's unlikely that I'll be able to match the in-line duct fan's specs with the cooker hood's. How important is it that they are matched?

i wouldsay very, because if one if faster than the other you will / may have problems

fan a blows at 50l hr
fan b blowsat 40l hr

a is first fan b is 2nd fan

where do the other 10l go? try it i may be wrong

Sponsored Links
Fitting hood myself, it recommends 3M max hose, -1m for every bend at 90 degrees.

Do the instructions rate the fan in your hood for max length + bends etc?
These fans SUCK not blow, so you need to fit matching fans or one will out perform the other, 10 l per minute is a lot. It's the same vol as 20 cans of 500ml beer per minute!! will introduce a leak if your system is airtight at installation.

the figures i used were used to demonstrate a point the actual difference may bemore, it may be less.

as for "These fans SUCK not blow" that depends on which side of the fan you are on doesn't it :LOL:

Many thanks for the advice. Sounds as though I should try to avoid the use of a second fan if possible.

My extractor fan instructions say 4m max with "as few bends as possible", and recommends 5" ducting. If I make most of the run 6", then I'm cutting the resistance down as much as possible so hopefully I'll get away with it.

Thanks again.

If you have room run two ducts this will reduce the back pressure on the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back