Long Lasting Radiator Heating Element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As spring is now here (but see the recent thread on the subject! Spring?)
Today I turned on the 300W heating element to the towel rail in my bathroom. Its a dual one that runs on the central heating in the winter, and has an electric element for the balmy spring and hot summers that we all love.

As I turned on the switch, off went the RCD:mad:

IR test shows its gone all earthy.
This particular element has lasted only 3 years. The previous one only two.

So, my question is: does anyone have a recommended supplier of these that have a long life??
Maybe there is an industrial strength, stainless steel version?

Changing it every 3 years or so is not good, especially as I hate plumbing!

Suggestions welcome!

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I bought one that comes with a 10-year warranty. That'll do for me. All working again now.

Changing to an all-electric rail would mean that the two water pipes sticking out of the tiled floor would look rather stupid !

Aww - how else do you get to play with flamethrowers indoors?
Can of WD40 + a box of matches?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I couldn't replace mine if I had a floor I couldn't lift, unless the element was no more than 32cm long.

I'll bet there's some small print in the warranty about annual flushing of the system and re-dosing with inhibitor...

And remember the wise old saying - once you torch off a can of WD40, nothing that happens after that can be termed "an accident".

A can of decent brake cleaner and a lighter is much less effort than WD40 when it comes to starting large, out of control fires indoors. Drape a load of hairfelt around the place and it'll spread like there's no tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back